"The Transitional Housing program was a well-timed blessing in my journey to a healthy life. It was the help and assurance I needed--a safe space and the confidence to not fall back into a bad situation."
--Transitional Housing client
Program Can Provide:
- Financial assistance for rent, security deposits, utilities and other housing-related costs, for up to 24 months;
- Advocacy and emotional support, including counseling and case management;
- Assistance finding and maintaining permanent housing;
- Safety planning for you and your home;
- Support of employment goals;
- Support goals of living independently;
- Referrals to community resources and services; and
- Follow-up services, for a minimum of 3 months, upon exiting Transitional Housing.
Program Eligibility Criteria:
Determination of acceptance into Transitional Housing will be made on a case by case basis through consideration of the following minimum criteria and guidelines.
An applicant must be:
- A survivor of domestic violence and/or sexual violence, dating violence or stalking, who is actively fleeing an abusive relationship;
- Eighteen years old or (legally) emancipated minor;
- In need of housing due to fleeing, without sufficient emergency or transitional housing available;
- Willing and desiring to participate in Transitional Housing and meet with staff on a mutually-determined schedule;
- Willing to create an individualized safety plan, with the assistance of Transitional Housing staff; and
- Able to safely live independently, without access to staff or support 24-hours per day, 7 days per week.
- How to Apply:
To request an application for DVPI Transitional Housing, please contact the Transitional Housing Coordinator at 330-445-2000 ext 268.
Completed applications can be mailed to:
Domestic Violence Project
Attn: Transitional Housing Coordinator
PO Box 9459
Canton, OH 44711-9459
Once the Transitional Housing Program receives your application, it will be reviewed and the applicant will be contacted within 3 business days. If you are eligible, we will set up a time to meet and get to know each other better, to determine whether this is a good fit. This meeting will take place at Renew Counseling and Recovery Center to ensure privacy. If we don't currently have space in Transitional Housing but you are interested in being placed on a waiting list, you can let us know when we contact you.
For Shelter Assistance Call
DVP Inc 24-Hour Hotline 330-453-SAFE (7233)
or Email us: [email protected]